The Kato 4-8-4 FEF Steam Locomotive accepts the DN163K4A board replacement decoder. To disassemble the Kato 4-8-4 FEF, perform the following steps:
1. Gently slide the cab towards the tender.
2. Using a small Phillips head screwdriver, remove the screw located at the rear of the locomotive.
3. Slide the boiler toward the front of the locomotive.
4. Lift the entire boiler assembly off the chassis
5. Remove the plasic clip which is covering the analog circuit board.
6. Carefully remove both of the motor power tabs from the analog circuit board, being careful to not break the wires going to the motor or distorting the metal tabs.
7. Slide the analog circuit board towards the back of the locomotive while slightly lifting it to clear the chassis.
8. Holding the decoder at a slight angle, insert the deocder into the front chassis power pickup slots. Slide the deocder forward until the decoder is fully seated in the frame.
9. Replace the motor power tabs onto the decoder. Make sure they are aligned and inserted properly on the decoder.
10. Replace the plastic clip.
11. Replace the boiler making sure the rear screw hole lines up with the chassis.
12. Replace the Phillips head screw.
13. Replace the cab.
Your Kato 4-8-4 FEF is now ready to hit the rails.