Our website offers a Decoder Selector Tool that can be used to find recommendations for locomotives made by different manufacturers by scale and model number.
May factors will influence which decoder you choose to use for any given locomotive.
1. The physical size of the locomotive and how much space is available for the installation.
2. The current draw of the motor.
3. How many functions do you want on the decoder?
4. Is there a board replacement decoder available?
5. Is there a plug for the decoder built into the loco?
6. Do you want a sound decoder?
7. Other decoder features that might be important to you.