KB167: 9 Steps For Successful Decoder Installation
This article was last updated on May 8, 2012, 2:20 p.m. | Print Article | Leave Feedback
1. Read the instructions FIRST and PLAN your installation.
Have the proper tools on hand.
2. Choose a locomotive that runs well on regular DC.
3. Choose the appropriate decoder for your installation.
4. Test the decoder before installation.
5. Carefully disassemble the loco.
6. Isolate the motor!
7. Follow the decoder's wiring diagram or installation instructions.
8. Test the installation first on DC then on DCC. (If the lights are flashing the first time you apply power, remove the loco from the track and locate the short circuit in your installation.)
9. Customize your decoder by programming individual CVs.